A matte painting utilizing quite a few different techniques, 3d projection, UV cards, camera facing billboards & 3d assets.
Here is a link to the video result
And some stills taken from it:
Basic steps were:
1. Undistort plate, removing barrel distortion
2.Clean plate ( focussing on removing modern elements such as satallites and modern plumbing)
3. Paint in new elements such as building outcrops, new mountain range & sky
4. Pull RGB masks for all elements and apply basic levels and grade for Night treatment.
5. Take WIP matte into Maya and model support geometry for projections using Proj camera.
6. Setup an animated camera and double check 'bleed' & also distortion issues.
7.Finish matte painting and extract different projection passes.
8. Added 3d Palm trees, billboard flares and animate skydome.
9.Render out passes in Maya
10. Composite in After Effects & add flare and camera motion blur etc.
11. Render out and go surfing :)
Here is the base plate image taken by Richard Messenger:
Example of scene in Maya: